Deptford Green Ofsted Report
Ofsted website link for all of Deptford Green's reports.
The school continues to make good progress through its termly monitoring visits.
Headlines from the HMI monitoring visit 11th-12th March:
- More students are making more rapid progress, especially in Maths and Science.
- The sixth form is being well led and the progress of sixth form students is improving rapidly.
The quality of teaching:
- Teaching and the quality of marking are improving.
- Good teaching and progress were seen in English, Maths, Science, Art, textiles and DT.
Behaviour and Safety:
- Students are unanimous that behaviour has improved significantly. The number of fixed-term exclusions is continuing to decline significantly.
- Students confirm that any type of bullying is increasingly rare.
The quality of leadership in and management of the school:
- The executive headteacher and senior leaders are continuing to raise expectations and aspirations of students and staff.
- Messages are unequivocal about the expectations concerning high standards of behaviour, student uniform and attendance.
Previous LA visit:
On the 12th and 13th December, the school was visited by a team from the Local Authority who evaluated all aspects of school performance. This was a very positive and constructive process. The feedback from the team of visitors included the following comments:
Teaching and Learning:
- The large majority of teaching over time is now good or better.
- Students have positive attitudes to learning and teachers expect them to do their best work.
- Good and improved achievement across most subjects.
- Achievement of students in the 6th form is good.
- Students’ behaviour is good around school. They are polite, engaging and welcoming.
- Students from Year 7 to 13 praise the quality of education and they are confident that they will achieve and are well looked after.
Leadership and management:
- Leaders have systematically and rigorously set about tackling improvements and there is a palpable sense of pride and achievement expressed by staff and students.
- SLT and MLT work together successfully to tackle weaknesses.
This LA visit followed the HMI monitoring visit on the 1st – 2nd October. Some statements from this visit included:
Teaching and Learning:
- Students take pride in their work and were keen to show inspectors their improvements.
- Good teaching was characterised by questioning to probe students’ understanding.
- The achievement of students in their GCSE results shows improvement.
- The inclusion of vocational courses is enabling students to access courses that are suited to their needs and do well as a result
- There is a positive atmosphere in the school that is supporting improvements in behaviour.
- Teachers have high expectations of students’ behaviour in lessons.
Leadership and Management:
- Senior and middle leaders are setting high expectations of teachers to improve their work.
- The educational expertise and determination of the IEB is coming to the fore in challenging senior leaders to bring about rapid improvement.